Become a Voluntary BID Levy Payer
Businesses who occupy a commercial property in York city centre but are not legally required to pay the annual York BID levy, may apply to become a voluntary levy payer. Voluntary members based within the BID Area will be able to access all standard BID services and benefits for an annual fee of 1% of their rateable value. Applications from businesses outside the BID Area will be considered on a case by case basis, based on programme viability and proximity.
To apply, please complete and sumbit an online form via the link below. Before applying, please ensure you read the voluntary levy rules and terms and conditions at the bottom of this page. A member of the team will contact you soon after receiving your application to follow up.
Services Available for Members
In addition to the wide range of projects and initiatives that already benefit York city centre as a whole, please see below the list of services that are available through membership:
Voluntary Levy Rules
- Only businesses occupying a commercial premise, registered for nation non-domestic rates may apply. The applicant must be able to evidence that they are a legitimate representative of the business.
- Voluntary levy payers will be charged an annual fee of 1% of their rateable value (as per 2017 ratings), capped at a minimum of £100.
- Businesses can join the scheme at any point during the year:
- Those joining between 1st April- 30th September will be invoiced for the full annual fee.
- Those joining between 1st October- 31st March will be invoiced for 50% of the annual fee.
- Unless cancelled, membership will renew automatically on the April 1st of each year and is billed in advance.
- Businesses who fail to pay their fee within the term specified may have their membership cancelled and/or access to services terminated.
- Businesses can choose to cancel their membership at any time.
- No refunds will be made, either fully or in part.
Terms & Conditions
- York BID reserves the right to decline applications for voluntary membership. In some cases the applications may be refered to the Board of Directors for consideration.
- York BID reserves the right to amend the terms of the voluntary levy scheme at any time but will endeavour to inform all affected parties in the event of any such change.
- Legislation dictates that voluntary members are not entitled to become BID Board Directors or company members, nor are they be entitled to vote at company AGM's or in BID ballots.