Buzz About York
Helping York's bee population thrive.
ABOUT BUZZ ABOUT YORK
This summer, York BID is on a mission to create the nation’s biggest bee-friendly floral display. Planters have been installed across the city to create pollinator pit stops, providing bees and other pollinators a place to stop and rest. Green spaces in city centres are typically too far apart for pollinators to travel between them safely. This project will change that in York.
Every BID planter will be filled with vibrant, bee-loving flowers. Keep an eye out for these planters as they each display pollinator fact files and actions you can take at home. You may also spot a bug hotel in the shape of an iconic York building!
How are you helping bees? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by tagging us in your photos on instagram at @buzz_about_york
CITY CENTRE MEADOW
Have you seen our wildflower meadow on Exhibition Square? The meadow is also home to our giant Buzz cutout - the perfect partner for selfies! Follow us on social media to find out more.
YORK GIFT CARD
During Summer 2021, 1% of the upload value of every York Gift Card will be donated to Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, charity number 210807, YWT.org.uk. The York Gift card is accepted at over 300 city centre businesses.
Buy yours now at www.yorkgiftcard.com
YORK QUEST APP – BUZZ ABOUT YORK AR TRAIL
Magical, beautiful creatures have taken up residence in York city centre this Summer. But can you track them all down?!
Simply use your phone to find a series of characters who are hidden near our planters and bug hotels. Once you have found a character there is a fun interactive element to enjoy. Take a photo and share on social media - tag us with #yorkquest so we can see your pictures! It’s a fun and free activity to keep young people busy during the summer holidays.⠀
The York Quest app is free to use and is available now on Google Play Store or App Store.
Use this map to find our bee friendly planters and bug hotels.
BUSINESSES SUPPORTING BUZZ ABOUT YORK
Asgard sell delicious honey-based mead in their shop on Little Stonegate. Their most popular selling meads are the black cherry & Vanilla from Wheatleys of York. They currently stock Wheatleys, Skal Mead, Lyme bay, Lindisfarne and sparkling mead from the Wye Valley.
Azendi sell beautiful silver bee and butterfly jewellery. Visit their store on Low Petergate to see their lovely butterfly window display.
Fabrication on Coney Street sell a range of handmade crafts featuring bees. The gorgeous window display alone is worth a visit.
Fairfax House sell a range of bee-related products including
- Beeswax Balms and Raw Soap from The Gret British Bee Co. (10% of their profits go towards British Honey Bee Research),
- Bumble Wrap; beautiful, natural, plastic-free food wraps you can wash, reuse and compost
- Shire Honey; available in Summer Flower/Dark Summer Flower at 8oz or 12oz, supplied locally from York (Copmanthorpe)
- Fairfax House Antique Beeswax Polish, specially prepared for use on antique furniture to Jacpol's traditional beeswax formula since 1827.
Fancy Dance have created a lovely bee and sunflower themed window display at their shop on Micklegate.
Heima sell insect hotels as well as a range of bee friendly seeds and "bee bombs" seed bombs at their store on Gillygate.
Jimmy's Honeycomb Pale Ale is brewed using the finest Northern honey, this crisp yet sweet pale ale is bound to give you a bit of a buzz!
Jorvik Group Bee Trail Discover how Roman, Viking and Medieval York residents used bees and honey with the JORVIK Group Bee Trail!
- At JORVIK Viking Centre, chat to our friendly Vikings about how they nurtured bees in ‘skeps’ and enjoyed honey in their mead – skal!
- After an archaeological adventure in DIG, explore the bee-friendly garden and see a replica Viking boat that could have traded honey around the 10th century world.
- Learn how the wealthy Snawsell family used bees and honey and see beautiful floral displays at Barley Hall, York’s hidden medieval gem.
- Plus get 10% off bee-related gifts for the whole family in all the JORVIK Group gift shops. We are excited to be partnering with the Great British Bee Company of Artisans and Bee Keepers with a new range of products, including honey, habitat hotels, gardening sets, seed sticks, mead, and much more.
- Get entry for 12 months to all 3 attractions with our great value Triple Ticket – pre-book online or talk to a member of staff.
Little Yorkshire Candle Company have a print full or pollinators designed for them by Hannah Turlington Art from Thornton le Dale called Bee Pollination. It’s based on their gorgeous candle packaging which includes bees and flowers. The print is available in tea towels and aprons from their store on Goodramgate.
Middletons Hotel has a garden which is full of pollinator-friendly planting, and is a great place to visit for inspiration on bee-friendly flowers.
Neals Yard have been supporting bees for 10 years through their Bee Lovely products where every purchase supports bee friendly charities. Their Wild Rose range includes geranium and rosemary - also much loved by pollinators!
Paperchase has a wide range of bee-related stationary, mugs and bags all displayed on a special #buzzaboutyork display in store.
Solita have created an amazing honey cocktail for Buzz About York which they’ve named ‘The Bee Fizz’. The ingredients include blood orange gin, fresh lemon, pineapple, prosecco and, of course, honey. It's by request only until the end of August - Just ask for The Bee Fizz for this Summer special!
Tullivers on Colliergate are happy to support Buzz about York. Many of their products, including foods, body care & herbal supplements are grown in a way that supports the ecosystem, whether organic or biodynamic, & encourages pollinators. Weleda have kindly donated some wildflower seed sheets that they will be giving away with every purchase of Yogi Bee Happy Tea.
York Army Museum shop on Tower Street is stocking, what else, but Seedboms! Great for pollinators. Chuck one in your garden and watch the flowers explode...
York's Chocolate Story has a honey flavoured milk chocolate among their selection. Perfect for those with a sweet tooth. You can find them on King's Square.
Watch this space - York is going to be Buzzing this Summer!